The award is intended to honor “those making a difference in our communities, creating more opportunities for businesses, and building a brighter future for our region,” according to the Chamber.
“TheBurg is deeply honored by this recognition,” said Larry Binda, TheBurg’s editor-in-chief. “As we celebrate our 10th anniversary, this award helps validate the hard work we do every day to contribute positively to the greater Harrisburg community.”
TheBurg’s products include TheBurg Monthly, its flagship monthly magazine, TheBurg Daily, which features breaking news and original local reporting, and 3rd in the Burg, Harrisburg’s monthly arts, culture and nightlife event. TheBurg also sponsors many events in the community and is the lead sponsor for the Harrisburg Mural Festival.
The Chamber has given out the Catalyst Award since 1990 and regards it as “the most prestigious award given by the Harrisburg Regional Chamber and CREDC,” according to the Chamber. Last year’s recipient was the Joshua Group. Decisions on winners are made by an independent awards committee.
In addition to the Catalyst Award itself, the Chamber announced other awards today that fall under the Catalyst Awards program. The categories and recipients are:
- Athena Award: Kristal Turner-Childs of Eyes Wide Open LLC and the PA State Police
- Business Diversity Champion: Hamilton Health Center
- Corporate Citizen of the Year: Capital BlueCross
- Emerging Business Leader of the Year: Mike Wilson, Members 1st Federal Credit Union
- Entrepreneur of the Year: Jason Klock, Klock Entertainment
- Government Leader of the Year: Robert “Bob” Riley, former deputy chief of staff for former Rep. Todd Platts and Rep. Scott Perry
- President’s Award: Kathleen Pavelko, WITF
- Small Business of the Year: Mountz Jewelers
- Volunteer of the Year: Lynda Morris, Capital Region Partnership of Career Development
The awards ceremony will take place on Dec. 6, starting at 5:30 p.m., at the Hilton Harrisburg and Whitaker Center, Harrisburg.
Pictured above: TheBurg’s full-time staff, from left: Lizzy Hardison, Lauren Maurer, Larry Binda, Kelsey Tatge and Megan Caruso.