Capital BlueCross’ Commitment to Harrisburg
A message from Todd Shamash, Capital BlueCross president & CEO
For more than 80 years, Capital Blue Cross has provided peace of mind to individuals and families in the greater Harrisburg region and across central Pennsylvania by offering products and services that help create healthier lives and lower healthcare costs.
We remain the only health insurer headquartered in Central Pennsylvania. Harrisburg has been central to our growth and success since we first opened our doors at the corner of Second and Locust streets in 1938. Today, we employ nearly 2,000 people in the Harrisburg region, many of whom call the city home. Capital Blue Cross is actively involved in promoting the health, education, arts and culture, and overall well-being of the city’s residents.
Our contributions to the city include:
- Involvement in the Big Brothers Big Sisters “Beyond School Walls” mentoring program for minority students from the Harrisburg School District. Capital BlueCross was the first company in Central Pennsylvania to participate in this research-based mentoring model, which was designed to create a trusting relationship between young adults and professionals, inspiring the students to see a future beyond high school.
- Creation of the Community Care Project, a collaboration that provides health screenings and nutritious food to low-income, minority community members who might not otherwise have access to health professionals. The collaboration raises awareness and educates at-risk populations about the importance of prevention, early diagnosis, and management of chronic diseases, including diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Providing essential medical and dental services to residents of Harrisburg’s diverse Allison Hill area through the Hamilton Health Center. Capital Blue Cross’ support enabled the center’s expansion, helping to serve even more low-income residents. We have continued to support Hamilton, including most recently serving as the presenting sponsor of its 50th anniversary celebration in early 2020.
- Supporting several arts organizations such as the Harrisburg Symphony Orchestra, Gamut Theatre, Theatre Harrisburg, Open Stage, and Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts.
- Working directly with the City of Harrisburg to support events such as the Holiday Parade, July 4th celebrations, and Kipona Festival. We also were a major sponsor of the City’s first Ice and Fire Festival.
This is just a sampling of our work in support of Harrisburg and its residents. Over the years, we have donated millions of dollars to support countless events and organizations in and around the capital city, and we will continue to support the community we call home.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we increased our funding to local food banks and other community organizations, as well as provided meals to local healthcare workers, first responders, and nursing home staff and residents. Recognizing the financial strain the pandemic put on many households, we also waived several healthcare fees – such as copays, coinsurance, and deductibles – for our members.
Capital Blue Cross has an unwavering commitment to promoting health and wellness for our members, as well as promoting well-being and a strong quality of life for the City of Harrisburg and all the communities we serve. We have never forgotten our roots in Harrisburg, and Capital Blue Cross will continue to be an active participant in the city’s vibrant growth and continued success.