Is the road to Harrisburg’s heart through its coffee?
For many in central PA, that just might be. So, for a fourth consecutive year, Bethesda Mission is launching its #iheartHBG campaign in coffee shops and cafes throughout the area.
The Harrisburg-based men’s shelter and community center today is distributing thousands of cup sleeves to 19 locations. The sleeves feature a heart and the #iheartHBG slogan with the goals of rallying community spirit during the long winter, raising funds and encouraging people to volunteer at Bethesda Mission.
“During the cold weather months in the ‘Burg,’ many of us seek a warm drink in a cozy setting,” said Scott Dunwoody, executive director of Bethesda Mission. “Local coffee shops offer this ambience, now with an added invitation to support Harrisburg and Bethesda Mission.”
Andrea Grove, owner of Elementary Coffee Co., said that she likes the dual purpose of supporting both the community and a good cause.
“I also like the collaborative aspect,” she said. “Very rarely do coffee shops collaborate in that way. So, it brings us together for this one month.”
Each location will have a designated jar for donations, which will be used to support the Women’s Mission Renewal Project, and for business cards in case patrons are interested in volunteering with Bethesda Mission.
Participating coffee shops include:
- 3J’s Coffee Shop, 901 E. Main St, Palmyra
- Brew Crumberland’s Best, 1903 Bridge St., New Cumberland
- Brew Crumberland’s Best, 4902 Louise Dr., Mechanicsburg
- Capital Joe, 416 Forster St., Harrisburg
- Capital Joe, 36 West Main St., Mechanicsburg
- Cornerstone Coffeehouse, 2133 Market St., Camp Hill
- Dalicia Bakery & Coffee Shop, 1419 N. 3rd St., Harrisburg
- Elementary Coffee Co., Broad Street Market, Harrisburg
- Elementary Coffee Co., 256 North St., Harrisburg
- Game Table Café, 4900 Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg
- Little Amps, 1836 Green St., Harrisburg
- Little Amps, 133 State St., Harrisburg
- Little Amps, Strawberry Square, Harrisburg
- Mellow Minded Cafe, 5943 Linglestown Rd., Harrisburg
- The Pennsylvania Bakery, 1713 Market St, Camp Hill
- St. Thomas Roasters, 5951 Linglestown Rd., Harrisburg
- Tomato Pie Café, 3950 Tecport Dr., Harrisburg
- Urban Churn, 1004 N. 3rd St, Harrisburg
- Yellow Bird Cafe, 1320 N. 3rd St., Harrisburg
Bethesda Mission also encourages coffee shop patrons to post pictures of themselves and their cups, along with supportive words for Harrisburg, on social media sites.
The campaign will continue through January or as long as the cup sleeves last, according to Bethesda Mission.
Bethesda Mission Men’s Shelter is located at 611 Reily St., Harrisburg, and their Community Center is located at 1438 Herr St., Harrisburg. For more information about the program, visit BethesdaMission.org/event/i-heart-hbg.