What are the hidden gems of Harrisburg? And where are these sparkling treasures?
That’s what we asked nearly all of our podcast guests over the past year. But—surprise, surprise—we saved these audio treasures for this bonus Valentine’s Day episode.
This special Valentine’s Day edition of TheBurg Podcast is sponsored by Explore HBG.
Nearly 25 guests reveal their favorite, go-to places they consider unique to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. And some of the answers may surprise you: They range from sparkling gems of nature to the capital city’s cultural gems, outstanding restaurants and businesses, iconic architectural gems, plus even a few quirky local gems. Some are truly hidden, off-the-beaten-path gems.
Discover the hidden gems of the Burg, on TheBurg Podcast: Hosted by Lawrance Binda, editor of TheBurg; and Karen Hendricks, TheBurg Podcast’s host and producer.
Guests, sharing their hidden gems, include:
- Melissa Brown, UPMC Central PA
- Fred Burton, Harrisburg-based writer
- George Conrad, president, Standing Stone Trail Club
- Karen Cullings, executive director of the Daphin County Library System
- Seth Dellinger, Animal Advocates of Central PA
- Jenifer Donnelly of Recycle Bicycle Harrisburg
- Clare Flannery, Harrisburg runner
- Monica Gould, DEI expert, of Strategic Consulting Partners,
- Rich Hauck, TheBurg illustrator
- Brad Jones, Harristown president and CEO
- Kasey Jordan, Harrisburg native and ice skater with Revolution Ice Unity
- Kevin Kulp, president, Harrisburg Senators
- Maestro Stuart Malina of the Harrisburg Symphony Orchestra
- Maureen Marks of Maureen Marks Arts
- Diane McCormick, freelance writer for TheBurg
- Sammi Leigh Melville, TheBurg’s resident film writer
- Rod Mortel, High Hopes for Haiti
- Melissa Nicholson of Gamut Theatre
- Steph Perez, Harrisburg artist
- Ian Potter, muralist and Harrisburg native
- Peter Sirotin of the Harrisburg Symphony and Market Square Concerts
- Crystal Skotedis, Harrisburg resident, principal with Boyer & Ritter LLC
- Todd Vander Woude, executive director of the Harrisburg Downtown Improvement District
- Andrew Williams, music teacher, Reach Cyber Charter School
TheBurg Podcast introduces you to some of the Harrisburg area’s most fascinating people, through their own authentic stories, expanded from every month’s magazine–because there’s always “more to the story.” TheBurg Podcast is released monthly on the second Friday of every month. It is hosted and produced by Karen Hendricks, an award-winning journalist and PR professional. Visit her website here.
TheBurg Podcast received two prestigious awards in 2021: First place, Excellence in Journalism, Society of Professional Journalists, Keystone Chapter; and Honorable mention, Keystone Media Award, Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association Foundation.
To sponsor a future episode of TheBurg Podcast, contact Lauren (email@example.com). TheBurg is a monthly community magazine based in Harrisburg, Pa.; Lawrance Binda, co-publisher/editor.
If you like what we do, please support our work. Become a Friend of TheBurg!